Our forum has been closed since 2016. You are still able to read through the old messages, but posting is no longer possible. Enjoy reading back in time of dance music production :)

Privacy notice: some posts may include embedded content and therefore use cookies from those parties (youtube or souncloud, for instance).

From audio sample to notes progression

by vr_scorp on Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:11 pm

Hello guys,

So I wanted to know how to use an audio sample, for example those from the Trance Elevation Pack, to make a baseline progression. Those which i have in my pack are not on the notes which i want to use them, how can i put them on different notes?

I've been using Ableton live 8, and from what i've learn is that you can use the sampler or simpler for this purpose, however i can't put them on the notes i want. Anybody please help.

Thanks.
vr_scorp
NS2K Rookie

Re: From audio sample to notes progression

by erikh on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:14 pm

In Cubase you just mark a part of a wave file, go into the menu and choose pitch shift. Guess there are something similar in Ableton. Otherwise load the part you want to pitch shift in a sampler, drag out a midi note in the same lenght as the sample. You should then be able to just drag the note up or down in the piano roll to get the pitch you want. Make sure to set the root-key in the sampler right.
erikh
NS2K Loyal Member

Re: From audio sample to notes progression

by PeabodyknightA123 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:26 pm

If you want to change the key of the basslines, one of the easiest ways in my opinion to change the key is to just hit CRTL+A and then move the notes up or down to your desired place. Knowing a little music theory here helps too because you want to make sure that, if there are varying notes that move up a minor third (three half steps) or down a major second (two half steps), they are in the right key. You'll know when notes aren't in the right key because it doesn't sound right. Always make sure that the notes move up a minor third or down a major second. The easiest way to figure those out is to hold the tonic (the key note) and then move up chromatically (playing every note) and count each note after the tonic until you reach the number 3. For notes moving down a major second, just do the same thing as the first time, but go down and count the notes you play until you reach the number 2.

Hopefully that's easy enough to understand. It was a lot to take in.

Daniel
Qp-990
PeabodyknightA123
NS2K Loyal Member