[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 68: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 69: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 68: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 69: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5385: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3974)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5387: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3974)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5388: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3974)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5389: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3974)
MIDI Files and copyright : Off Topic Chit Chat
Our forum has been closed since 2016. You are still able to read through the old messages, but posting is no longer possible. Enjoy reading back in time of dance music production :)

Privacy notice: some posts may include embedded content and therefore use cookies from those parties (youtube or souncloud, for instance).
Forum rules
Talk about anything in mind that is not music related.

MIDI Files and copyright

by Sam Cera on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:36 pm

Thought I'd start a new topic on this topic again. As it happens we seem to have become a target of anti piracy groups too.
The past 8 years we havent had any problems, but half a year ago we lost our adsense income due to it and now we got 1 removed result from google and 1 email from a label in 5 days.

It might have something to do that Nonstop2k seems to score quite good on "artist - track download" on google. I see us on the first page for quite a few searches I tried. Not good. We are no longer a small produces community, but we seem to have become one of the files sharing services or obscure mp3 sites.

I'm trying to think of a solution of how to handle this problem, should we take down our MIDI database and just stick to the forum perhaps? I've already changed some of our SEO on the download pages. Hopefully that will help, otherwise we might not make it to 2014 :S

What are your thoughts?
Sam Cera
NS2K Admin

Re: MIDI Files and copyright

by conex1 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:42 pm

Midi download only for members perhaps?
conex1
NS2K Member

by ralphe on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:47 pm

No need to submit to the control freak bullies. People of nonstop2k community need to unite against these actions or they get away with it. MIDI files are data and just that, MIDIs created by users for fun, ranging in accuracy. We are a non profit organization and MIDIs are made by our users from scratch. If certain labels/artists don't like it, its simple, we exclude THEIR songs from the archive, we don't have to punish others who seem to enjoy the free publicity they get. People enjoy music. Music is for people. Not corporate bodies who try and rule the world.

I'm disgusted what adsense has done, hmm, this is news to me, John maybe we need our own builtin ad system? Or do away with ads altogether and stick with partners/sponsorship/donations/crowd-funding.

Nonstop2k is not JUST about MIDIs, its a place for producers to showcase their stuff too.

Further thoughts anyone?
http://www.thisflighttonight.com (My originals alt-rock band)
http://ralphe.bandcamp.com (my electronic/techno music)
ralphe
NS2K Legend

by Prince De Sad on Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:24 pm

Yep Ralphy ,just ban them :D

Those majors become more AGRESSIVE then the "pirates" themself :lol:

Btw ,long time no see :mrgreen:
01001001 00100000 01101100 01101111 01110110 01100101 00100000 01001110 01101111 01101110 01110011 01110100 01101111 01110000 00110010 01001011
http://home2.paulschou.net/tools/xlate/

Prince De Sad
NS2K Legend

by mayank on Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:57 pm

I found this while searching for copyright laws around MIDI. I think the same rules apply to MIDI.

Apparently, MIDI files made without permission from the original artists/publishers are illegal.

Also, check this:

Read the comments in that article where nobody agrees with what the lawmakers are doing.

It is not very difficult to understand that anyone trying to threaten you for copyright violation is doing so either because they're not doing very well financially or they're simply bastards.

However, the wise thing to do at this point is to hide the MIDI database and prevent any court cases that might rob you off somewhere around $50,000 to $250,000 per song (ridiculous I know). The rest of the website can continue to function since we have a heap of user-submitted original content in the form of patches and audio that is free from copyright.
mayank
The Paladin

by cobrarecords on Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:13 pm

MIDI Files cannot be copyrighted. It is impossible to argue that a musical score is infringing on copyright.
If this copyright bollocks carries on much further there'll be rioting in the streets.

As far as a practical solution goes maybe do the following? -

- Members only, allowing download access to approved accounts only, but keeping the actual pages the same.
- Switch the hosting method so that a new link is generated for each individual download so that there is no fixed URL that can be taken down.
- Host the website on eastern servers where copyright law is far less strict and not seen as a matter of urgency.

These industry parasites are beyond a joke and need to keep their noses out of NS2K's business.
cobrarecords
NS2K New Member

by ralphe on Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:38 pm

The LOL thing is Nonstop2k is not a business. it is an online community. I think its simple, just remove the files they request if they are the copyright owner. One record label doesn't own ALL the music in the world, surely?

Also music producers of the future, the ones making music, sign only with sincere labels who are down to earth, and in it for the music.
ralphe
NS2K Legend

by ralphe on Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:48 pm

Not one complaint for 8 years til now, so this is an isolated case, they are probably desperate for money huh?
ralphe
NS2K Legend

by Prince De Sad on Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:33 pm

Yep ,and im geussing you will receive more and more copyright complains in a near future ,"they" can do exactly what they want when they wants ,hoo and all around the world /the web (soon into your brain/bed) ............

:evil:
01001001 00100000 01101100 01101111 01110110 01100101 00100000 01001110 01101111 01101110 01110011 01110100 01101111 01110000 00110010 01001011
http://home2.paulschou.net/tools/xlate/

Prince De Sad
NS2K Legend

by PeabodyknightA123 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:07 pm

Sorry, but 90% of the MIDIs on this site aren't even MIDIs of the whole song or even just small sections of a song. You can argue that MIDIs are educational because you are able to see at how the pro's write their melodies and that helps you with your own writing skills. Armada/Anjuna/Enhanced haven't said anything, and even some of the artists signed to these labels use this site, so I agree with what Mayank said in that the label that filed the copyright notice are just a bunch of cheap bastards who are looking to make some money off of this. Honestly, it would probably be advantageous to make MIDI downloads private again and have a disclaimer somewhere at the top of the screen in big bold letters saying "Not-for-profit" or something talking about how we aren't making money off of this. If people are sharing MP3s on here, they need to get kicked off of the forums and be ISP-banned from ever coming here again. I've seen a couple of scam artists posting stuff on here lately too, which only started this year amirite?
PeabodyknightA123
NS2K Loyal Member

by ralphe on Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:05 pm

The bigger a community gets the more scammers it attracts, which leads me to wonder, if Nonstop2k should follow the Gmail Beta phase approach where new registered users have to be "recommended by an existing active member" to join?... Thoughts?

Hmm maybe, maybe not... but yes Nonstop2k certainly is for educational use, and for fun! Agreed, most MIDIs are not even full songs, just parts of riffs etc.
ralphe
NS2K Legend

by Sam Cera on Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:03 am

Thanks for the responses everyone!

For now we'll have to see where this goes to. We have a total of 3 cases all together now, of which one is not an automated one but directly emailed to us. We will be responding to take down notices from labels or artists, as well as to google search result removal notifications. I'm not ready to give up on the complete archive yet, but we will no longer accept full MIDI files.

We are born from a passion of creating EDM and like you said Ralph, where here for fun and educational use. We could go to a members only download page quite easily, but currently anyone can register and to be honest, having to manually check registrations is a huge job and not something that I would like to be doing. So it wouldn't really make a difference. We would get a lot more members though.

Perhaps we could go to some enclosed form of membership? Say a 1 or 2 bucks a year membership for access to the site. Those registrations would be a lot less and could be manually controlled. I'm not sure if this would be a good idea, but it would cover hosting costs and we could get rid of those annoying ads we have now. Than again, the idea of the internet is that information is freely available and we if we charge a membership fee we might end up making money and than labels might be even more after us. What do you guys think of this?

Donations could be another method to stay alive, but all the donations of the past years combined dont make up for 1 year of hosting. So I'm a bit skeptical about that. They would sure emphasize the non-profit character.

For now I have made some adjustments to our SEO. I've removed as many 'download' words from the actual download pages to avoid being indexed for that keyword. Labels wont search for 'artist - title midi', they search for 'artist - title download' and check if they like the pages in the results or not. They don't care if its a MIDI, the word download alone is enough to be hated. I also added to the description that those are partial transcriptions and for education and/or remix purposes. So that should show on the google search results soon too. Maybe it helps a bit, but the future is somewhat dark if you ask me. I don't like taking these kind of risks, even though there are hundreds of MIDI sites that are doing the same thing with full songs of all major labels.

This stuff makes we want to go back to the time when EDM hadn't taken off to become main stream all over the world :)
Sam Cera
NS2K Admin

by Sam Cera on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:29 am

Got some random positive news too, last Saturday was our busiest day ever! :)
Sam Cera
NS2K Admin

by Ameyah on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:44 am

Use the midi request option MIDI FILES --> MIDI Requests!
Ameyah
The Bank Man

by Frozen Ray on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:36 pm

Ok, so John, you said labels look for "artist - title download". What if the text gets changed from "Download this midi file" to "Acquire this midi file" :?:
Frozen Ray
NS2K Supporter

Next